June 30, 2011

A room fit for a cowboy

When we finally got our house I was excited that finally decorate Cohen’s  room. His last room was so tiny that I just really stuck to colors verses a theme. His last room was browns and creams and while that was nice too, it wasn’t exactly I had envisioned for his room.

I first thought I wanted to do vintage airplanes but after his first birthday I decided I had to have a cowboy room. Mainly because it allowed me to reuse all his decorations that I worked so hard on!  The color scheme stayed the same; Navy blue, maroons, browns and creams. I didn’t want it over the top cowboy, like someone threw up cows and hay all over his room, and it what we did works great cause if I decide I want to change it years down the line all I have to do it swap out the decor and it will still work.

Here is what it looked like when we moved in. Boring and dirty dingy flat white.

_DSC0025 _DSC0026 _DSC0027

First we moved the crib to the guest room. This was his residence for a week.

DSC_2567 

Then we got to work!  I say we but by that I mean, Husband.

We would put Cohen to sleep and start sawing and nailing. It was loud!! Even though he was in the next room, he never woke up. When he’s in bed for the night, he’s out!

DSC_2569 DSC_2572

After the board and batten was installed, I painted the top half. It’s by Behr and the color is English Channel. We got the paint and primer in one. SO worth it. It took barley two coats which is rare for my walls since they have no texture and require 3+ coats even with the lightest color.

Then the time consuming part came. Painting the board and batten. White after white after white… Doesn’t seem bad but it’s on a flat wall and the boards are primed MDF so it showed all the brush strokes. It took 3/4 coats and if we didn’t run out of paint it could have taken a few more!

DSC_2577 

After a week of hard work, the room is finally done.

Wont you come in??

DSC_2638 

The curtains are the same ones he had before, I just added some scrap fabric I had to the top of it. The red valance under the curtains is attached to the wall with furniture brads and it’s just a sheet! It’s the red sheet I got from goodwill and made his crib sheet out of. The excess became a curtain.

DSC_2645 DSC_2651DSC_2646  

The pillow I made… andddd you can tell. I am not thrilled with it so it will be going soon.

DSC_2648

The window seat now has a bench built on top of it and was framed out.

DSC_2667 DSC_2668 DSC_2670

Garth Brooks “Rodeo” lyrics in a rope font, framed

DSC_2672 

The chalk board table!

DSC_2688 DSC_2705DSC_2695  DSC_2707

He LOVES his room. He always runs in and grabs his toy gun or his chalk and goes to town! I am pretty proud of it, too. So cute!

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Soooo stinkin cute! Love it!

Sarah Moulton said...

very cute! You put so much work into your home! It shows in everything! I love the board in Cohen's room. I'd be proud of that room too!