December 16, 2008

Lil' Gift Garland- How To

It's cheap and cute and easy to-do holiday garland! The end result will look something like this

Items you will need:


-Scissors
-Hole punch
-Wrapping paper (or scrapbook paper) in different prints (I did 3 different types)
-Tape
-Ribbon or Twine/Thick String (mine is a ropey twine)
-Cheap jewelry boxes found in a 3 pack at the Dollar Tree. I bought 2 packs for a total of 6 boxes.
-Time. The majority of the time will be spend wrapping each box and then finding a place to hang in.





1. Take all of the tops off of the boxes. The tops and bottom will both be wrapped separately to make more boxes. After separating the tops from the bottoms.

2. Wrap each box in wrapping paper. I wrapped my 12 boxes in 3 different prints but all along the same color palate. I then added some ribbon to them and made them look like mini presents.

3. After wrapping the box, take your whole punch and punch a hole in 2 sides that are opposite of each other, so that you can run a sting through it. Since I have different size boxes, I punched my wholes in different spots each time. I wanted some to hang more from the middle and some to hang more from the top and some to hang long way and some to hang short ways. Any way you do it will be just fine as long as you can run a string through it.



4. After each box has been hole punched, lay out the boxes side by side until you like the way it looks. Make sure no 2 boxes match and if they do, switch them around.

5. As soon as you have the right layout, start stringing the mini presents onto your ribbon or twine. Make sure to tie one end so your gifts dont fall off!



6. Just keep stringing your mini presents onto the ribbon and before you know it, you will have a completed mini present garland.


I wish I would have bought more mini boxes to do a bigger garland for my Christmas tree...or to make little Christmas tree ornament out of them.


For now, I split my garland up into 2 different strands and they greet us when ever we walk through the door.




I had seen this done a bit different in a pottery barn magazine. See behind the bed, hanging on the wall?The garland wasn't for sale, it just happened to be part of a room they were showcasing. If they were selling it, I'm sure it would have cost at least $100. Mine cost just about 3$! Cant beat that!


1 comment:

J said...

Freakin adorable, but I soooooo do not have the patience to do this one!