June 14, 2011

A Cowboy name sign

What cowboy room isn’t complete without a little cowboys name in rope?!

We had completed Cohen’s room and as I was trying to decorate and get it back in order I just found I couldn’t get things right. It was lacking something but I couldn’t tell what…Then it hit me.

He needs his name in rope above his crib. That would take up enough space on the wall and would be the thing I was looking for.

Since we just got done doing all the wood stuff in his room, we had some scraps laying around. I believe this is oak but I am not positive… My wonderful husband then took some left over trim and attached it to the side for me.

I painted it white and had planned on putting a dark stain on top and then distressing it before attaching the rope but my stain turned out to be to red for my liking.

DSC_2590 

Hard to tell by the photo but it has a lot of red in it.

DSC_2592 

I then took the brown paint that I had left over from his dresser and painted it roughly on top, still letting some of the stain to show through.

DSC_2594 DSC_2595 DSC_2597

After that dried( I used a blow dryer since I have no patience) I used some sandpaper and scratched/roughed  the top.

Then I got to work making the letters and stapling  every few inches or so until I had a full name that was even on the board.

DSC_2600 DSC_2601 DSC_2602 DSC_2605

To attach it to the wall, we screwed in a couple screws in the back of the sign and wound wire across them. Don’t forget to sink a heavy piece like this into a stud! We  made sure it was good and secure since it will be hanging over my babies head!!

TA-DA! The finished product! (room photos to follow as soon as we get the crib put back in)

DSC_2662

1 comment:

J said...

awesome!!!!